On 2018-10-17 16:16, jan.brab...@actinovo.com wrote:
> Hello,
>

> I am very sorry if this is the wrong area or wrong way to ask;
>

> I am having difficulties to completely understand if sogo is what I
> need. Could someone please confirm?
>

> THIS IS WHAT I NEED:
>

>  1. Sogo is supposed to be a new layer between our existing simple
>     external mail server and our Outlook and Android clients (that
>     currently only support mail)

With EAS, it does that.

With classic DAV sync, it sits in parallel and only provides
calendars/adress books/tasks.

>  2. We would like to keep our 40-50 mail accounts at our provider,
>     accessible via IMAP and SMTP, and now want sogo to access our mail
>     accounts at our provider via IMAP and SMTP. We do not want to host
>     an own mail server or SMTP gateway.

Yeah, that's the default.

>  3. All clients (Outlook, Android) should now use IMAP, SMTP, ActiveSync
>     or whatever included technology to connect to sogo. By doing so they
>     have access and ability to send mails (nothing really changes). But
>     they also have the ability to store and access shared and individual
>     calendars and address books (something that was formerly not
>     possible since only mail services were provided).

As mentioned before, you either go EAS (which has some limitations and
licensing peculiarities[1]), or IMAP+SMTP as before, plus CalDAV/CardDAV
sync for address books / calendars / tasks. (Not with Outlook, but works
with Android using DAVdroid.)

[1]:
https://sogo.nu/files/docs/SOGoInstallationGuide.html#_microsoft_enterprise_activesync

>  4. Might sound dumb to repeat it again, but after implementing sogo not
>     much has changed in terms of mail: The old same mail servers still
>     receive and send the mails.

SOGo doesn't *have* any mail server, you have to tell it how to connect
to yours:

https://sogo.nu/files/docs/SOGoInstallationGuide.html#_smtp_server_configuration

https://sogo.nu/files/docs/SOGoInstallationGuide.html#_imap_server_configuration

>  5. Any web interface for groupware users is not really needed (nice to
>     have, though). We really concentrate on accessing mail and calendar
>     services via Outlook and Android clients.

SOGo has one included, providing webmail+calendars+address books.

> Is sogo the right way to go?
If EAS works for you, probably. (We've never tested it, since we didn't
want to bother with Microsoft licensing.)

Sven Schwedas, Systemadministrator
✉ sven.schwe...@tao.at | ☎ +43 680 301 7167
TAO Digital   | Teil der TAO Beratungs- & Management GmbH
Lendplatz 45  | FN 213999f/Klagenfurt, FB-Gericht Villach
A8020 Graz    | https://www.tao-digital.at