Is anyone actually using CloudSolrClient WITHOUT specifying ZooKeeper URLs?

For those who don't know, CloudSolrClient supports two ways of getting
the cluster state in order to route and failover intelligently -- via
ZooKeeper or via HTTP calls to Solr.
https://solr.apache.org/guide/solr/latest/deployment-guide/solrj.html#base-urls-of-cloudsolrclient

However, for years (if not since the inception?), the performance has
been terrible: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-14985
It's so bad, I have doubts that anybody is actually using this.  If
basically nobody is, I could see fixing the performance problems
piecemeal with breaking support for certain things (perhaps aliases or
cluster properties... we'll see).  The recourse for any hypothetical
user is of course to use the ZK connection or to use plain (non-Cloud)
SolrClient.

~ David Smiley
Apache Lucene/Solr Search Developer
http://www.linkedin.com/in/davidwsmiley