On Sat, Sep 18, 2004 at 08:05:29PM -0500, Jason J. Ellingson wrote:

> I'm sure someone thought of this, but I don't see it asked before... so...
> =====
> 1) Person X regularly gets emails from Person Y (good friends)

> 2) Person Z is a bad guy... so he sends Person X a GTUBE email with a
> faked FROM: address of Person Y.

> 3) Now, GTUBE scores a 1000 points,

How does person Z know that person X and person Y are friends?

I don't think at this point that there are a lot of spammers taking
advantage of this concept... too much work for too little payback.
Obviously, there are ways around most / all filters - it's just a
question of whether or not it's worth the trouble.

That said, I imagine there are spammers who are already starting to
track relationships between people, via addressbooks on compromised
Windows machines, via bots social networking websites, etc... and I
think we'll see more of this sort of activity as the arms race
escalates (though I don't think the default AWL score is 1000 points, is
it?).

Imagine, for instance, spamware which goes through an infected user's
sent mail and sends similar messages (possibly even from the infected
user's computer, through their provider's mail server) with marketing
messages interspersed....

/w