On Thursday, September 23, 2004, 11:54:14 AM, Sandy S wrote:
> I did find these lines in the debug output:
> debug: URIDNSBL: domains to query: tvuu.wneiis-MUNGEDplanet.info
> dkcw.wneiis-MUNGEDplanet.info
> ----and----
> debug: URIDNSBL: queries completed: 0 started: 0
> debug: URIDNSBL: queries active: DNSBL=2 NS=2 at Thu Sep 23 13:36:08 2004
> debug: done waiting for URIDNSBL lookups to complete

> Apparently the lookups timed out.  I assume that's something to do with the
> fact that it's checking for  tvuu.wneiis-MUNGEDplanet.info instead of just
> wneiis-MUNGEDplanet.info, but I don't know enough about how the URI RBLs
> work to be sure.

I'd need to read the source code, but for a .info, urirhssub
is probably checking the second level domain, i.e.
wneiis-planet.info .  It may be checking at the third levels
also: tvuu.wneiis-planet.info and dkcw.wneiis-planet.info .

In either case it should not be timing out.  If it is checking
the third levels, an NXDOMAIN response meaning it's not on the
multi.surbl.org list should be cached after the first try and
therefore quick on subsequent queries.  It should be pretty
quickly resolved for whatever name servers you happen to hit
for the first query.

If you try:

  time dig tvuu.wneiis-planet.info.multi.surbl.org.

on the same machine SA is running on what result do you get?  How
long does it take.  How about:

  time dig wneiis-planet.info.multi.surbl.org.

Try a bogus new query like:

  time dig some.bogus.query.multi.surbl.org.

and see how long it takes to give an NXDOMAIN.  If it's quick
from the command line it probably should be quick from SA also.

Jeff C.
--
Jeff Chan
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]