At 10:39 AM 9/24/2004, Jay Ehrhart wrote:
This morning I had over 7000 emails in my Linux server's outbound queue
which I deleted.  My firewall log shows over 20,000 emails went out with a
SunTrust bank announce saying to login and enter your username and password.
I do not see the emails coming in like I would in a relay.  How can I stop
this or how are they doing this?

Sounds like some kind of abuse of an onboard http proxy, script, installation of a backdoor, or some other such thing that's letting them queue mail directly from the local host.

Clearly it's not a direct SMTP open relay (I checked, trying to send myself mail, didn't work which is good)

I'd suggest running a good battery of tests:
http://www.abuse.net/relay.html

If that doesn't show anything obvious like HTTP proxies, look for a trojan or backdoor on your system. chkrootkit is a good tool to do a first-pass check.