At 08:43 PM 9/28/2004 -0700, Erik Wickstrom wrote:
Just wanted to get your opinion on whether or not I should have RBL
activated?  I have read some mixed opinions so far.  Does it create
alot of false positives (vice versa)?

My opinion is that RBLs are lousy as a single-point criteria for spam if FPs are a big problem for you (ie: traditional MTA layer blocking).

However, integrated in SA I've rarely had FPs that were attributable to the RBLs, particularly when combined with bayes, which can deduct just about as many points as the RBLs can add.

Typicaly if I have a FP that involves RBL hits, the email has less than half the required points from RBL rules. (ie: less than 2.5 points) and a substantial chunk of points from various malformed HTML, malformed mime, and malformed message-id rules.