On Tue, 28 Sep 2004, Tom Yates wrote:

i've just upgraded to SA 3.0.0 (thanks, theo) on a RH9 box, and effectiveness has dropped from <1% false negatives to about 5% false negatives. looking at the output, it suggests that DNS-related tests (specifically SPF, but i also suspect the various blacklist tests) aren't working.

in case anyone's searching the archives for a similar problem, the issue was the Net::DNS was too old a version. this showed up when i ran "spamassassin -D" against a piece of unfiltered spam, and got output which included:

debug: Net::DNS version is 0.31, but need 0.34

to get SA working fully, including SPF tests, it was necessary to get from CPAN, build, and install the following modules:

Net-DNS-0.48.tar.gz
Mail-SPF-Query-1.997.tar.gz
Net-CIDR-Lite-0.15.tar.gz

(for those even less experienced than me: download, tar xvzf to unpack, cd to the new directory, perl Makefile.PL && make && make install). don't forget to restart spamd afterwards.

doubtless later versions, and possibly earlier ones, would have done just as well, but this is what i used, and this is what works for me. SA is back to <1% false negatives, and i'm ecstatic again.

thanks to all the SA developers - you rock!

--

  Tom Yates
  Cambridge, UK.