On Fri, 1 Oct 2004, Luis Hernán Otegui wrote:

Same thing here, except that it also eats as much memory as it can...
Scan times keep growing bigger and bigger in time...

I saw this problem too on our scanning machine (dual Xeon HT 1GB RAM), upgraded to SA 3.0 over the weekend. After awhile (4-8 hours) it would get slower and slower (to the point the milter on the mail gateway would timeout waiting for spamd to finish a message), and then unscanned email would be delivered.

I tracked it down (partially) to 3 or more of the spamd threads jumping up to around 320MB allocated RAM and staying there. Easy to suck up a gig that way. As more of the spamd children 'blew up' the slower the system became due to the increased swapping.

By default each spamd child will handle 200 connections before terminating and allowing the 'master' to start a new child. After several hours, these blownup spamd's would bring the machine to it's knees.

What I did was add '--max-conn-per-child=1' to the spamd start line. This causes each child to die after handling one connection. I still see the occasional 'blow up' for a spamd child, but at least now it gets released as soon as that particular child as finished scanning it's message.

Since then, I haven't had any more problems - running 2 days now without requiring a manual restart to regain control of the machine.

Of course this is really just a workaround. spamd really should release it's allocated mem after handling a message. I have no idea what causes a spamd to explode like that - a 'special' message that exploits some bug in spamd? You guys might try that option to spamd and see if it helps.