On Tuesday 09 November 2004 10:58 am, Christopher X. Candreva wrote:
> My personal opinion -- if you aren't building from source, basicly you
> should be looking for a different AV solution.  With Clam it has often been
> necessary in the last few months to run CVS versions to be able to use the
> latest virus updates.

Um did you read anything  I said. I do do my rpm's and I do build from source
quite often. Oden is very good about keeping up and i have no need to
duplicate his efforts. The only reason this is happening is because mandrake
was frozen for release. As a matter of fact Oden just uploaded the latest
stuff today.

As for anything else it was not that big a deal as my current setup was
catching about 99% of everything comming through. I set it up to be superior
to begin with so the only real advantage for upgrading besides handling the
new definition files is the fact that it handles more archive formats by
default. This so far has not been an issue but is very forward looking and is
a nice feature to have before it's needed.

> If you are running a 4-5 month old version of Clam, it is going to miss a
> lot of recent viruses. You may not even be able to update your database any
> more, as the older database format has been retired.

Covered this in the above.

> If nothing else, a new database update mechanisim has been introduced,
> where the DB version is distributed via a DNS record to reduce the load on
> the virus database mirrors. You'll be doing the Clam team a big favor by
> moving to 0.80 soon.

Yes and this is a very good thing also. System is already updated. Now if I
can just get this plugin to work.

--
                                      Brook Humphrey