Chris wrote:
> However, I do not run a mail server, the offending msg came from the fact
> that every 4hrs I restart spamd and have the output of the crontab mailed
> to me.  I also have the results of the rootkit hunter cronjob mailed to me
> daily.  Is the problem caused by the fact that the mail is sent from
> chris.localdomain to EL?

If that mail is from a local machine to another local machine then I
would create a transport map (thinking of postfix here) so that local
mail is sent completely locally.  Only non-local mail would go out to
the external ISP mail relay.  Why require external networking for a
completely local task?

A postfix specific entry in the transport map would be:

  *.localdomain smtp:

If the message is anything.localdomain then send it directly there by
SMTP.  Any other message falls through and does whatever you have
previously configured for it to do.  If you have a relayhost set to
your ISP then it is sent there normally.

Other MTAs have similar capabilities.

Bob