Hi Guys,

        I wrote to the list a few weeks ago asking for advice on spamd
performance. I got some, and have implemented it, but dont know if i'm
seeing a performance improvement. The performance i'm getting is far from
other people are reporting, it seems.

I'm running spamassassin 3.0.1 with postfix 2.0.11-4 on Redhat Enterprise
linux, kernel 2.4.21-4.ELsmp.
The box that this runs on is a dual-Xeon 1.5Ghz with 1.5gig memory.

I've done lots of performance enhancing tricks, but havent had very
noticable success.
I've changed the language from redhat default utf-8 to regular US-en.
I'm using spamc/spamd.
I'm using a caching-only dns server on localhost.

I've also played around with the max-children and max-conn-per-child
settings for spamd. Since i have lots of memory available i've set
max-children to 30 amd max-conn-per-child to 250.
Doing this hasnt increased performance though, i think. The box is able to
process about 1msg/sec and no better, although i've been told that a box of
this config should be able to do about 8msgs/sec.

I know that spamassassin3 pre-spawns all its children. I've noticed however
that when a mail queue builds up i notice only a max of 15 or so working at
any one time (looking via 'top'), and sometimes none are working at all.

I've got another scanner type app running on the machine as well, Anomy
Sanitizer, which is launched from the same script as spamc, an attachment
deleter which doesnt actually run daemonised, but disabling it completely
doesnt give much of a performance boost.

Currently the system is in testing, so all the mail coming in is actually
100% spam. This shouldnt effect spamd performance though?

Can anyone give me some advice about this? At peak spam times I currently
get mail queue build-ups of 2000+ messages, which results in about 15-20min
delay of message delivery, which is somewhat unacceptable.

thanks in advance,
Regards,

Dimitry Peisakhov
Systems Administrator