I'm the author of the Qmail content filter Qmail-Scanner, and currently it calls spamc as "spamc -u [EMAIL PROTECTED]" so as to help out the sites doing per-user SA configs.

I've assumed that anyone wanting to do this would be using SQL backends (so requiring them to refer to local accounts as "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" is fine) - but apparently I presumed too much! Some are just interested in standard old /home/$USER/.spamassassin/ style lookups. Now calling "spamc -u [EMAIL PROTECTED]" doesn't work for them as there is no local username called "[EMAIL PROTECTED]".

So I could add yet another feature to Qmail-Scanner where it will strip back to the username - or SpamAssassin could.

I don't mind either way - it's just that I wonder if this is also an issue for other SA-integrated MTAs (milter, postfix), so thought I'd post it out for comment? Maybe others can suggest another way of doing it? [Let's not dwell on the fact that spamd may have to run as root for this mode to work...]

Thanks

--
Cheers

Jason Haar
Phone: +64 3 9635 377 Fax: +64 3 9635 417