> On Mon, Dec 06, 2004 at 10:27:29AM -0600, Jon Dossey wrote:
> > Wow!  0.1 seconds, now that's fast!
> >
> > Then I saw this: "tests=none"
> >
> > I guess it would be fast if it doesn't have to really *do* anything!
>
> tests=none just mean that it didn't hit any rules, not that it didn't
run
> any
> rules.  You can try sending a GTUBE through.
>
> > So have we really narrowed it down at all?  We know that spamd is
taking
> > a long time during some test it performs, but we don't really know
if
> > its related to RBL checks.
>
> Well, we've proven it's network related, but haven't narrowed it down
> which
> network check.
>
> -D may help, I would probably try slowly reenabling things.  ie:
remove -L
> but
> disable razor, dcc, pyzor, URIBL, etc.
>
> Also, check to see if you have any timeouts set to 15s.  The default
RBL
> timeout is 15s, so it could be that, but most of the queries would
have to
> fail to actually get to 15s (as queries return, the timeout gets
lower).

First off, I'd like to thank you again for your and others help, Theo.
I would have been completely lost without your help and suggestions, and
I really appreciate your patience.

I finally got a chance to take a look at this with debugging enabled
(been very busy here), and noticed the following output:

Dec  8 10:08:13 dhgsrv17 spamd[1880]: debug: DNS: timeout for
rfci_envfrom after 15 seconds
Dec  8 10:08:13 dhgsrv17 spamd[1880]: debug: DNS: timeout for
NO_DNS_FOR_FROM after 15 seconds
Dec  8 10:08:13 dhgsrv17 spamd[1880]: debug: DNS: timeout for ahbl after
15 seconds
Dec  8 10:08:13 dhgsrv17 spamd[1880]: debug: DNS: timeout for
NO_DNS_FOR_FROM after 15 seconds

Also worth noting:
Dec  8 10:07:58 dhgsrv17 spamd[1880]: debug: URIDNSBL: domains to query:
Dec  8 10:07:58 dhgsrv17 spamd[1880]: debug: is Net::DNS::Resolver
available? yes
Dec  8 10:07:58 dhgsrv17 spamd[1880]: debug: Net::DNS version: 0.45

Now, I believe the problem *may* be due to the fact that I'm relaying
off this host by connecting from my workstation on the SMTP port, with
no reverse DNS entry.  Is it possible the resolver is timing trying to
reverse my private IP address to a valid host name?

Thanks,
.jon

"The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to
which it is addressed and may contain confidential, proprietary, and/or
privileged material.  Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other
use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by
persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.
If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete
the material from all computers."