--On Wednesday, December 15, 2004 4:27 PM -0600 Chris Barnes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

No dice - downloaded and when I ran the:
    rpmbuild -tb Mail-SpamAssassin-3.0.1.tar.gz

I got:
warning: Installed (but unpackaged) file(s) found:
   /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.3/i386-linux-thread-multi/perllocal.pod
Wrote: /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386/spamassassin-3.0.1-1.i386.rpm

SA isn't running at all now.

This sounds like you rebuilt the RPM as root and something in the rebuild procedure isn't root-safe and clobbered the live system. I only rebuild RPM's as a mortal.

To package as a mortal, create the file ~/.rpmmacros and put in it the lines:

%_topdir /home/buildmeister/rpm
%buildroot %{_topdir}/var/tmp

where buildmeister is the user who will be building RPM's. Create ~/rpm and under that create directories BUILD, RPMS, SOURCES, SPECS, SRPMS, and var.

Now run the rpmbuild command as user buildmeister and the process will be sandboxed in those directories.