> >   I am attempting to offload SA to a machine that is not my main MX
> server.
> > I have two machines, two NIC cards and a crossover cable, but after that
> > get very lost.  I believe there should be a way to make them aware of one
> > another using this direct connection w/out the need for DHCP or a
> > router.... but I have no idea how to set this up.  Can someone offer
> advice
> > or point me in the direction of where I should be looking, reading,
> asking?
>
> If I understand you right, you want to the checking on another machine?
>
> Look for spamd / spamc  the spamassassin daemon and client.

No, I am looking for help on setting up the actual networking between the
machines.  Software level setup is the easy part.  ;)  One nice soul gave me
this offlist:

----------

On RedHat variants, at least, in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1
assuming the 2nd NIC card is device eth1....

on the 2nd nic for both.   use a different IP/subnet than your LAN.

machine one - 10.10.0.1/255.255.255.0  gateway 10.10.0.1
machine two - 10.10.0.2/255.255.255.0 gateway 10.10.0.1

should be able to ping back and forth once you plug in the crossover
cable.

create iptable rules/excepts if needed.

replace 10.10.0.x with whatever non-routable RFC compliant subnet you
want to use.