Good evening, Scott,

On Fri, 7 Jan 2005, Scott Wertz wrote:

I think this is an easy question, but I haven't been able to find an
answer.  If I'm using spamassassin 3, invoking it via procmail as just
'spamassassin' and testing for the result, and I trust that any message
carrying a URL that's listed on surbl.org or spamhaus.org is 100% spam,
what file(s) would I edit and how?

In other words, I've never seen a false positive on either of those BLs,
but I'm seeing spam that meets those tests and is still weighted less
than 5.  I want to change that.

As Michele correctly pointed out, you're certainly welcome to drive up the scores quite a bit so that emails with an surbl-listed domain are much more likely to cross 5.0.
However, even though Jeff Chan will likely shoot me for saying it ;-), surbl's can and occasionally do have false positives. Let's use Gevalia coffee as an example. I'll blacklist their domain because they regularly send me UBE. However, Gevalia has legitimate customers; for those individuals, email from that domain is _not_ UBE, it's solicited mail. (Just for reference, we removed gevalia.com because there were legitimate uses for it...)
I personally have trust in the surbl's, so I have no problem recommending that people increase the score if they want. Might I humbly recommend increasing the surbl score to something between 2 and 5, so that if surbl screws up for your particular mail flow the other rules have a chance of reining it in?
Cheers,
- Bill

        "Patience is a minor form of despair, disguised as virtue."
        -- Ambrose Bierce, on qualifiers
William Stearns ([EMAIL PROTECTED]).  Mason, Buildkernel, freedups, p0f,
rsync-backup, ssh-keyinstall, dns-check, more at:   http://www.stearns.org