Hi Giff, I recently had a lot of problems getting SA 3.0.2 to work, and it was due to upgrading perl from 5.6.0 to 5.8.6

See thread: what the hell is sha1_hex.al ?? about 2 weeks ago on this list.

A lot of people suggested that I upgrade the offending perl module via CPAN, which i did, including force installing it and other related modules - nothing helped.

Eventually, I found that the problem lay with outdated Perl Module files installed under /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl
When I install from CPAN, it installs into /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/i386-linux/, but the spamassassin compile was using the older versions from /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl

As I notice your problem is also related to SHA1, and I remember getting warnings about version not matching bootstrap paramater,
could you run the following commands on your system and send back the output?

cd  /usr/lib/perl5

find -name SHA*
find -name DynaLoader*
If you find that you have more than one version of a module you could try moving one of them out of the @INC tree, (temporarily!!) and see if it helps. - bear in mind if you take out the wrong one, you might break something that is running on your system, so be ready to put it back.

Maybe some perl expert on this list might be able to explain in more detail how perl modules *should* be organised under /usr/lib/perl5/, and what the order of @INC should be. I am still unclear about this, I just went about removing older modules until I found the culprit.

Keith.

Giff Hammar wrote:

I am trying to build SpamAssassin 3.0.2 on RH9 and it fails when I try to run
make. The error message is:

/usr/bin/perl spamc/configure.pl --prefix="/usr"
--sysconfdir="/etc/mail/spamassassin" --datadir="/usr/share/spamassassi
n" --enable-ssl="no"
cd spamc
/usr/bin/perl version.h.pl
version.h.pl: creating version.h
spamc/configure.pl: version.h.pl: Failed to get the version from
Mail::SpamAssassin.
Please use the --with-version= switch to specify it manually.

The error was:
version.h.pl: version.h.pl: version.h.pl: version.h.pl: version.h.pl:
version.h.pl: version.h.pl: version.h.pl: Digest::
SHA1 object version 2.01 does not match bootstrap parameter 2.07 at
/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi/DynaLoa
der.pm line 249.
Compilation failed in require at ../lib/Mail/SpamAssassin/EvalTests.pm line 33.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at ../lib/Mail/SpamAssassin/EvalTests.pm line
33.
Compilation failed in require at ../lib/Mail/SpamAssassin/PerMsgStatus.pm line
56.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at ../lib/Mail/SpamAssassin/PerMsgStatus.pm
line 56.
Compilation failed in require at ../lib/Mail/SpamAssassin.pm line 74.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at ../lib/Mail/SpamAssassin.pm line 74.
Compilation failed in require at version.h.pl line 27.
make: *** [spamc/Makefile] Error 2

If I try to use the --with-version=, I get a make error about an unsupported
option.

Any ideas on how to make this work?

Giff

Giff Hammar                         [EMAIL PROTECTED]
IT Director
Certified Parts Warehouse
V: 603.778.8870                 F: 603.778.6931
http://www.certifiedparts.com