On Mon, 24 Jan 2005, [EMAIL PROTECTED] said:
> What in the name of the great Fubar is an "autobundle" and how might
> one gutsy enough to use one go about doing it?

You create one by saying

autobundle

at the CPAN prompt.

This writes a `bundle file' into your CPAN bundle directory (probably
~/.cpan/Bundle: it's a plain text podfile containing lines like this:

Acme::Bleach 1.12

Acme::DWIM 1.05

Acme::Magpie 0.05

Acme::Magpie::l33t undef

Acme::Morse undef

Algorithm::Diff 1.15

Algorithm::DiffOld 1.1
[...]

You can prune bits out of it, edit bits, rename the file... whatever
you want.

Despite POD being a documentation format, you can install the bundle
file with the CPAN `install' command after clipping out the bits you
don't care to keep, and it'll go away and churn like mad for ages
and reinstall all the modules mentioned in there that are missing.

(Note that even detritus of older installs not properly removed by later
installs of the same module might be preserved in there: the best way to
spot *that* that I've found is to keep an eye on the installation
process to see if it's downloading several versions of the same module.)

It's a real kludge and nothing like a real packaging system, but it
works, pretty much, sort of, most of the time..

>                                                (More and more I find
> myself starting to lean far over to the "wrong side" in an ancient
> battle in this group....)

Which side? The `perl sucks' side? ;}

--
`Blish is clearly in love with language. Unfortunately,
 language dislikes him intensely.' --- Russ Allbery