> I've been seeing a LOT of reports recently of problems caused by the
> standard rules being in /etc/spamassassin or /etc/mail/spamassassin,
> something that should not happen. I'm wondering if it's old broken distro
> packages, or user error...

It might be worth adding a few lines to the SA startup code that checks for
one or two of the standard rules files in /etc... and output a debugging
complaint.  Maybe this check would only be made if the -D switch was given.

That could maybe help a few people at least realize that they have a
problem.

Possibly there could even be something at the end of the SA install that
would check for this error and output an error message.  That should make it
really obvious to whoever is doing the install that something is in the
wrong place.  If it happens for everyone that installs package X, it might
become fairly obvious that something is wrong with package X or its
instructions.

        Loren