Hi Ronan,

I myself have been looking at this for the company I work for, and may
be able to provide some insight.

DSPAM is an entirely statistical filter, so is similar in behaviour to
the BAYES part of SA. It implements a number of more sophisticated
algorithms and strategies for recognising spam. It also has some nice
touches for feedback (because it is virtually essential that you tell
DSPAM when it gets it wrong)

SA relies primarily on its regexp matching (with lookups etc).

So, each spam detector works in a very different way. One of the options
we are considering here is to use both SA and DSPAM together. There are
a few HOWTO's around on how to do this, (I've seen a good one using
exim, but can't find the link atm) or you could probably write a plugin
to SA 3.0 to call DSPAM.

Basically, you need statistical filters because spammers are tricksy,
but you also need pattern matching, because when you spot something odd,
you want to be able to start catching it immediately. Using a
two-pronged attack also allows you to use SA as a detector for training
the DSPAM filter until it gets good.

Hope this helps,

Richard