I followed the steps below that are posted on the website
http://spamassassin.apache.org/full/3.0.x/dist/UPGRADE but I get an
error when I run the sa-learn --sync after copying the bayes files over
from my version 2.63 to 3.0.2.  The files I copied are the bayes_toks
and bayes_seen files.

Error Messages:
Cannot open bayes databases /root/.spamassassin/bayes_* R/O: tie failed:
Cannot open bayes databases /root/.spamassassin/bayes_* R/W: tie failed:
Inappropriate ioctl for device

Here are the Upgrade instructions I was following:
***************
- The Bayesian storage modules have been completely re-written and now
  include Berkeley DB (DBM) storage as well as SQL based storage (see
  sql/README.bayes for more information).  In addition, a new format
  has been introduced for the bayes database that stores tokens in fixed
  length hashes (Bayes v3).  All DBM databases should be automatically
  converted to this new format the first time they are opened for write.
  You can manually perform the upgrade by running "sa-learn --sync"
  from the command line.

  Due to the database format change, you will want to do something like
  this when upgrading:

  - stop running spamassassin/spamd (ie: you don't want it to be running
    during the upgrade)
  - run "sa-learn --rebuild", this will sync your journal.  if you skip
    this step, any data from the journal will be lost when the DB is
    upgraded.
  - upgrade SA to 3.0.0
  - run "sa-learn --sync", which will cause the db format to be
upgraded.
    if you want to see what is going on, you can add the "-D" option.
  - test the new database by running some sample mails through
    SpamAssassin, and/or at least running "sa-learn --dump" to make sure
    the data looks valid.
  - start running spamassassin/spamd again
****************

I'm assuming that I could stop spamd, copy the files from versoin 2.63,
run "sa-learn --sync" and it would automatically convert the files to
the new format as stated above.  What's causing the error?

Tracey Gates
Lead Developer
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

1350 South Boulder, Third Floor / Tulsa, OK 74119-3203
Phone 918-663-0991 / Fax 918-663-0840

This communication is intended only for the recipient(s) named above;
may be confidential and/or legally privileged; and, must be treated as
such in accordance with state and federal laws. If you are not the
intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use of this
communication, or any of its contents, is prohibited. If you have
received this communication in error, please reply to the sender and
then delete the message from your computer system immediately.