On 3/6/2005 2:58 AM, Kelson Vibber wrote:

> A rather extreme example would be the series of rules that targeted mail
> programs that spammers rarely used -- things like Pine, Mutt, Mozilla, etc.

I know you said that this is an extreme example, but it's also a good one
on a couple of different levels. Verifiable metrics are the only thing
that can be used, and good ones are hard to find given the current state
of SMTP and even management levels.

But, compare this to something like scoring against TLS encryption
strength. Spammers are motivated to send as fast as possible, and strong
encryption is counter-productive to that mission (increasingly so), and
they can't fake it because it can be validated by a trusted relay. So even
thnough some percent will FP on this (eg, malware sending through a local
submission might get TLS from their local relay), it hits the right notes,
and is therefore useful.

That's all I'm saying: I disagree with the point slightly, which is that
simple tests may not have proven useful, but verifiable attributes can be
useful, particularly if there are more of them.