On 3/9/2005 3:29 PM, List Mail User wrote:

>> See section 3.6 of RFC 2821:
>>
>> | -  The domain name given in the EHLO command MUST BE either a
>> primary |    host name (a domain name that resolves to an A RR) or,
>> if the host |    has no name, an address literal as described in
>> section 4.1.1.1.

> 3.6 Domains

> used.  There are two exceptions to the rule requiring FQDNs: ..."
>
> Nothing in either the section you have quoted, or the one I have allows
> a hostname which is not a FQDN to be used.

see the first "exception", which is the text I cited above.

>> Technically, addresses that are NOT enclosed in brackets are illegal,
>> but those are the only ones that SA sniffs out currently.
>
> Of course, my machines just refuse these during the SMTP conversation,

Many do.

BTW, postfix has similar problems wrt literals. For example, if postfix
gets a regular address (non-literal) in the HELO, it will split the
address into octets and do lookups for PERMIT/REJECT ACLs on incrementally
smaller sets, which is all very nice. But if it finds a literal, it
doesn't parse for the address inside, and treats the literal like a domain
name. Another bug here is that the strict-syntax checks in postfix don't
match against non-literal addresses, which it should (RFC1123 spells out
what is a valid hostname, and all-numerics is clearly not legal).

> Please be careful and check the definitions and references in each
> document

indeed