Vicki Brown wrote:
Did the message you tested with
have a URI?  If so what was it?

Sigh. :-(
No. I naively thought it would list something anyway.
Back to circle 1.

OK, so I ran it again against a message with lots of URIs (specifically one
of my previous messages which got pummeled by dailyhills :-) and spamassassin
-D had a grand old time telling me which URLs were listed at which BL sites.

Yippee.  It works with spamassassin -D. :-(
This still doesn't explain why it doesn't work with my standard setup, i.e.
       spamd -d -c
in the background and
       /usr/local/bin/spamc -s 256000 -t 60
via procmail  :-(

For proof, here's the spam report on a (different) message I received tonight.

First, as it arrived in my inbox earlier this evening having passed through
spamd/spamc):

        *  3.1 MSGID_DOLLARS Message-Id has pattern used in spam

And here's the spam report for the identical message after I pushed it manually through spamassassin -D (cool, my URI rules are firing now; many thanks to Loren Wilton and Matt Kettler ;-)

        *   10 CF_BAD_URL1 URI: XXX site
        *  0.5 BIZ_TLD URI: Contains an URL in the BIZ top-level domain
        *  0.6 URIBL_SBL Contains an URL listed in the SBL blocklist
        *      [URIs: a123s.biz]
        *  2.0 URIBL_AB_SURBL Contains an URL listed in the AB SURBL blocklist
        *      [URIs: a123s.biz]
        *  0.5 URIBL_WS_SURBL Contains an URL listed in the WS SURBL blocklist
        *      [URIs: a123s.biz]
        *  2.0 URIBL_OB_SURBL Contains an URL listed in the OB SURBL blocklist
        *      [URIs: a123s.biz]
        *  3.9 URIBL_SC_SURBL Contains an URL listed in the SC SURBL blocklist
        *      [URIs: a123s.biz]

Have you restarted or HUP'd spamd yet?

spamd will read the config files once on initial execution and retain it in memory until it's HUP'd or restarted. Even if you make changes to the config file, the changes won't be loaded until HUP or restart.

spamc relies on spamd, and the config that spamd has in memory.

spamassassin will load the config files each time it's executed and does not rely on spamd to be running.

based on your results, I would say it's highly likely that restarting or HUPing spamd will solve your problems.

alan