[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Kelson wrote:

Larry Starr wrote:

On Friday 18 March 2005 08:17, Alexander Bochmann wrote:

there are many setups where
the ISP or someone else runs a backup MX for his
customer's domains as a service. With this configuration,
the secondary MX will usually not know about valid users
in the destination domain.

That, in fact, is the setup that I am operating and, yes, most of
what comes through my secondary MX, at my ISP, is SPAM. Some time
ago I implemented a rule that adds a (small) spam score for mail
received via my secondary MX.

I'm on the flip side of that: we provide secondary MX services for some of our customers, and I've started adding a small bonus score for mail being sent *to* them through our server. I've also added meta-rules to treat certain rules more harshly.

The really annoying thing, from our standpoint, is the backscatter we
have to process:

1. Spammer sends to secondary MX (us).
2. We filter out some of the more obvious spam (for the most part
   using our regular criteria).
3. We relay what's left to the primary MX.
4. Primary MX rejects mail to nonexistant users and mail that trips
   their own spam filters.
5. We generate DSNs that go to third parties or nonexistant hosts,
   contributing to backscatter and cluttering up our outbound queue.

The backscatter becomes a real problem in the legitimate relay
situation, because it's basically unavoidable.  If the spam is sent
directly to you, you can accept it, discard it, or reject it, and it
stops.  But if you're relaying to someone, and *they* reject it, now
you have to decide whether to generate a DSN or not.  We've actually
set up a separate queue for bounces that aren't delivered
immediately, so that it won't bog down normal mail.

Two solutions occur to me:
1) Allow a way for the secondary MX to tell whether the primary MX is "up" - if
it is, don't accept any connections
2) Allow a way for the secondary MX to tell what email addresses on the primary
MX are valid (LDAP occurs to me)

Matthew.van.Eerde (at) hbinc.com 805.964.4554 x902
Hispanic Business Inc./HireDiversity.com Software Engineer
perl -e"map{y/a-z/l-za-k/;print}shift" "Jjhi pcdiwtg Ptga wprztg,"

MIMEDefang can do both of these... I use it on my secondary MX server to check for valid users on the primary server. as a safety, if the primary MX server is down, it'll accept and queue the mail. if it can't validate the user on the primary server, yet the server is up, it'll fail with user unknown.

alan