On Fri, 27 Oct 2017, A. Schulze wrote:

Am 27.10.2017 um 07:15 schrieb @lbutlr:
RFC 822 is obsolete, replaced by RFC 2822.
... which is obsoleted by RFC 5322 and updated some other RFCs
see https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5322

And it still explicitly says that construct is legal:
rfc5322:3.4

   ...       This is done by giving a display name for the group,
   followed by a colon, followed by a comma-separated list of any number
   of mailboxes (including zero and one), and ending with a semicolon.
   Because the list of mailboxes can be empty, using the group construct
   is also a simple way to communicate to recipients that the message
   was sent to one or more named sets of recipients, without actually
   providing the individual mailbox address for any of those recipients.

Anybody can block mail for any reason they want ("my server, my rules"). But if they claim to do so with RFC justification for this case, then they're playing in the realm of "Alternative Facts"

#include <std_disclaimer.h>