On Sun, Mar 20, 2005 at 10:39:26AM -0800, Vicki Brown wrote:
> Sendmail does this (you run newaliases or "make"to trigger it).

Well, that's not sendmail rereading the config.  "newaliases" generates
a new DBM/hash file from a flat text file.  Sendmail then realizes the
file (that it has open) has changed and reopens the new file for access.
The DB is a lookup table, not a "config" (ala sendmail.cf).

> I simply do not believe there can be a "substantial hit" if spamd re-reads
> the config file

Besides the fact there are tens of config files that would have to be
watched (versus the handful that most daemons have), there's a ton of
processing involved with loading in the config.  There's no way to remove
a previously loaded config, so spamd would have to reread all of the
config files anytime there's a change to any of the them.  At that point,
it's more efficient to simply send a SIGHUP to spamd when you've made
a change.  It will then "reload" the config and you'll be off and running.

This is a very standard method of having a daemon notice a config change.

--
Randomly Generated Tagline:
"A duel of wits?  To the DEATH?"