At 09:58 PM 3/22/2005, you wrote:
I am having problems getting logging to work.

<snip>

I changed the configuration to use syslog hoping it would start logging the spamd messages. Before setting up syslog for this, I did not get any of the messages in maillog either.
The syslog settings seem to be working since I see messages such as these if I issue the command spamassassin restart:
Mar 22 11:02:43 server spamd[28444]: spamd starting
Mar 22 11:02:44 server spamd[28446]: server started on port 783/tcp (running version 3.0.2)
<snip>

What am I missing?

How are you getting spamassassin to scan your mail? Are you using spamc?

If you're using the "spamassassin" script from procmail, then your spamd isn't doing anything regarding mail scanning. You need to switch spamc into its place for spamd to be used.