I try to be a bit more specific.

Mar 23 15:26:36 godfella spamd[4473]: failed to load user
([EMAIL PROTECTED]) scores from SQL database: SQL Error: Can't
connect to local MySQL server through socket
'/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (13)

The socket is new located in /tmp/mysql.sock. I can now perfectly
access the db from shell scripts that don't run with root.
In /etc/my.cnf I read that the socket settings should be passed on to
all mysql clients. This doesn't seem to happen for SpamAssassin as the
log extract shows. Or am I missing somthing?

Please help

thanks
Philipp