On 5 Jun 2018, at 4:24, Peter Hutchison wrote:

I have recently upgraded my mail mta servers from Ubuntu 14.04 to Ubuntu 16.04 but the daily spamassassin cron job is failing to update the database in /usr/lib/spamassassin/3.9004001/update_spamassassin_org folder.

That's a very odd version number. Is that an Ubuntu thing?

I have made sure that the cron job has the proxy env variables set and also updated /etc/wgetrc But it still regularly fails with this error. I have even configured .curlrc file in root profile with proxy settings.

/etc/cron.daily/spamassassin:

channel: could not find working mirror, channel failed sa-update failed for unknown reasons I can manually update it ok, but not via a cron job. What else do I need to configure to ensure it works every time?

Impossible to say for sure. Adding "-D" to the actual sa-update invocation in /etc/cron.daily/spamassassin would provide more extensive detail about what's happening.