Hi all,

        I finally had some bandwidth and was able to get an RPM built for
CentOS 5.  I used Kevin Fenzi's CentOS 6 source RPM from COPR rather than one
from Fedora, though I imagine Fedora would probably work just fine.  The only
thing I had to do to get this to work was to install the perl-interpreter and
perl-generators dependencies, which had to also be built from SRPM (they are
dummy packages but required, and not available on CentOS 5)... and to specify
the buildroot for the SA SRPM.

For anyone still running this ancient and decrepit (and EOL) OS, here are
instructions that should hopefully work:

1) Grab the perl-generators SRPM from Fedora..  We need this because it's not
on CentOS 5, but is required by SA.
wget
https://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/epel/6/SRPMS/Packages/p/perl-generators-1.08-5.el6.src.rpm

2) As an unprivileged user (e.g., mockbuild), install the spec file:
rpm --nomd5 -i perl-generators-1.08-5.el6.src.rpm

3) Go to where the spec file was installed (probably /usr/src/redhat/SPECS
unless you specified a different directory)
3.5) Edit the spec file: under perl-interpreter, change Version to 5.8.8
(optionally change Epoch to 2).

4) Build and install the perl-generators RPM:
[NOT AS ROOT] rpmbuild -ba perl-generators.spec
[AS ROOT] yum localinstall --nogpgcheck
/usr/src/redhat/RPMS/noarch/perl-interpreter-5.8.8-5.noarch.rpm
/usr/src/redhat/RPMS/noarch/perl-generators-1.08-5.noarch.rpm

5) Grab the SA 3.4.2 SRPM from Kevin Fenzi (this may work fine with the Fedora
SRPM too):
wget
https://copr-be.cloud.fedoraproject.org/results/kevin/spamassassin-el/epel-6-x86_64/00801043-spamassassin/spamassassin-3.4.2-2.el6.src.rpm

6) As unprivileged, install the spec file:
rpm --nomd5 -i spamassassin-3.4.2-2.el6.src.rpm

7) Build and install... note that we have to specify BuildRoot because
otherwise it will try to install into /usr/bin (not sure why this isn't
defaulted):
[NOT AS ROOT] rpmbuild -ba --buildroot /var/tmp/build
/usr/src/redhat/SPECS/spamassassin.spec
[AS ROOT] yum localinstall --nogpgcheck
/usr/src/redhat/RPMS/$HOSTTYPE/spamassassin-3.4.2-2.i386.rpm

Of course, if you are missing any dependencies during step 6 or 7, install
those, then try again...

So far, no problems here.

I can make the actual built RPMs available if anyone wants them...

Cheers.

--- Amir