> From: Matt Yackley [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Are you using a sitewide bayes DB?  This may affect your

I will at first, I need to start as soon as possible, this means I'm
postponing the issue of finding out how to have on my mail gateway box
virtual users associated with the real smtp addresses I'll have to extract
from exchange (that at least I already know how to do easily, directory
export on exchange 5.5, ex2k+ from active directory).
For now everything will go into the "amavis" user bayes I suppose.

> I use a public folders for message submission, users can see
> the folders, create

I suppose a public folder in order to not needing to access indiviual
mailboxes with imap ? That's a another problem I've yet postponed: 90% of
our mail sits in public folders anyway, where a combination of ACLs, cdo
agents and custom forms simulates group mailboxes, by extending that
structure I can easily have a "Spam" folder in any group "mailbox" (PF
group). This means I'll have to pull more than one folder with IMAP (not a
big thing) but at least users won't need to change behaviour if later I
should go the "individual user bayes" route (with any real and any fake
"group mailbox PFs" will have one individual bayes).

> Are you thing of having the users "push" the messages to the
> relay server or pulling
> the message out of Exchange from the relay server?

Pull with Imap I think (another possibility would be extract with CDO/MAPI
and push, but that has the drawback of more encoding work).
At least until migration ti ex2k*
In the meantime I found:
"Messages sent by an Internet user are not converted. Instead they are
retrieved by the IMAP4 client in the format the message was composed in."
(which is good)

> > If it is, I was thinking, Spamassassin did already analyse all those
> > (inbound) messages the first time when delivered.

snip

> This is something that I have talked about with the dev at
> work.. perhaps use amavis
> or postfix (in my case) to save a copy of all messages, then
> write something to pull
> the msg ID out of submitted messages and then pull the
> "original" out of the "raw
> message store" on the relay server.  If MS can't fix my IMAP
> header issue, then we
> may look at trying to write something.

I'd try to strip big binary attachments before storing, should probably save
lot of space.
Still I'd prefer going the analyse first, insert into bayes later route,
since it needs to store only bayes data, not whole emails (potentially huge
db). But that has the counterpart of needing a spamassassin patch.
For me it is a moot point for now anyway, not enough time, I'll try the imap
route first, think about a better solution later.

> Cheers,
> matt

Thanks to you!
Heiko

--
-- PREVINET S.p.A. www.previnet.it
-- Heiko Herold [EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED]