Kevin, my comments/questions are inline.

Kevin Peuhkurinen writes:

Jean Caron wrote:

Kevin, your assumption is correct, user accounts are on the server and spamc is used. I already have the central DB setup using bayes_path in local.cf.
I think what you are saying confirms what I suspected, but it's still not 100% clear. Even though I have a central DB, all users must train it individually, is that it ?
For example, if UserA populates the shared folders respectively with ham and spam from messages he/she received, if UserB trains the central DB against those msgs, it will have no effect for UserA ? All users must individually train the central DB even though they train using the same msgs from the same shared folders ?
Sorry if I seem a little dense, but I think I'm getting it. I hope !
Jean

If you have bayes_path set, then all users should be using just the one DB, and any training that one user does will affect the results for all other users.

Hummm... That's what I *thought*, but then the results led me to beleive otherwise, and now you are confirming that only one user can learn for all.

So, presuming that the permissions on the Bayes files are set correctly so that all of your users have access to it, it would seem that you do have things set up properly.

I thought so, but something is not doing its "thing".

It is possible that the database is corrupt.

How can I tell for sure ? As far as I can tell, using spamassassin --lint, sa-learn --dump, etc. the results seem to indicate a healthy DB.

Have you in fact determined that most or all of your false negatives are due to low Bayes scores?

Again, how can I tell for sure ? My main lead here is that since I upgraded to 3.0.2, I also changed from owning the DB myself, as a regular user, to making it system wide owned and trained by a dedicated user. And since then, I went from a handfull of false negatives a day, to almost a hundred. At first, and this is where I may have assumed wrong, I thought well alright I have a brand new DB and it needs to be trained that's all. I gave it enough time and training, but it never got better. I still have way more FN than I use to. I've also recently (this week) added the SARE rules, and the results are not much better.

Jean