From: "Mike Grice" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> On Mon, 2005-04-25 at 11:58 +0100, Mike Grice wrote:
> > Hi there,
> >
> > I'm running SA 3.0.2 via spamc/spamd on an Exim mail server, but I'm
> > finding I quickly run out of memory and the machine collapses into a
> > burning heap as soon as it touches swap.
> >
> > Is there a rule of thumb of how many SA daemons to prefork to the amount
> > of RAM?  The boxes currently have 2G and I'm having to restart
> > spamassassin every hour -- and theyre still running out just before it
> > hits the hour in some cases.  The daemons are really chewing through the
> > RAM:
>
> Just to answer my own question (I'm not going mad, honest), I just
> noticed the max-connections-per-child by default is 200.  I guess that
> this could be nasty for memory usage, so I've tried dropping it to 100.
> Is there a FAQ for high-volume installations?
>
> I'll post my findings on the above...

On a hunch try fewer prespawns (to keep them from robbing each other
of processor time needlessly since IO accounts for a very small part
of a typical spamd run) and try far fewer connections per child say
15 or 20. Then start tuning for your particular load.

Of course, I've been known to be all wet before. This is particularly
common with me in an insomniac state as I am now.

{^_-}