I'm currently running SpamAssassin 3.01 on a linux box running Exim 4.43.  When I upgraded to SA 3.01 I also configured exim to reject messages at data time based on a spam score that was sufficiently high.  Since doing that I have found that every once in a while one of the spamd child processes will start eating up memory, sometimes as high as 200 MB.  I looked in the FAQs and under performance it mentioned that each spamd process could use 20 - 30 MB of memory.  I set the configuration to spawn only 5 child processes, and to kill and start a new child process after 20 scans.  I still have the problem.  When the single process goes to 200 MB the system starts swapping like crazy and system performance goes in the dirt.

From the release notes for 3.02 and 3.03 I don't believe this has been addressed as a specific issue, so though I will be upgrading, I don't think it will fix this problem.  Does anyone know what causes this and ways to fix it?