From: "Thomas Cameron" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> On Thu, 2005-05-12 at 09:31 -0700, Loren Wilton wrote:
> > > Is there something I should/could do about these expiry runs?  It
seems
> > > odd that it's been like this for a couple of days now...  How could I
> > > know that this was the issue?
> >
> > Um, this isn't my area of expertise.  I suspect Matt or Justin will be
along
> > with a workable suggestion fairly soon.  I'm pretty sure that there is
some
> > logging to indicate when an expiry run happens, but I don't know
precisely
> > what to look for.
>
> OK, I'll look for that.
>
> > At least with bayes there is a way you can turn off the auto-expire and
then
> > use a cron job to schedule a manual expiry once a day/week/whatever.
I'm
> > not sure if similar functionality exists for awl.
>
> I don't know either.

Loren's suggestion is likely a very good one. "top" is a nice way to find
out WHAT is consuming the time. I do note that I do not use automatic
learning or whitelisting here. (Me paranoid. Me not trust 'em. So me
feed salearn manually. Me get outstanding results. Me happy. {^_-})

> > Did you happen to notice if all of your spamd children get fat at once,
or
> > if just one of them got really huge?  All of them gettiing big might
> > indicate something changed with your rules files.  A single fat child
would
> > be more indicitave of an expiry run.
> >
> >         Loren
>
> It didn't really look like any of them were really fat...  The machine's
> drives just started hammering and the load average shot up.
>
> It's all cleared up now after a reboot.

For how long? You did not SOLVE the problem. You paid it's blackmail.

{^_-}