Mike Jackson wrote:

A couple days ago, I set up AOL's "feedback loop" (though the loop part is a misnomer, since you can't actually respond to the messages) so I could monitor complaints against my employer's servers. Looking through the messages AOL says their members reported as spam, I noticed that none of them actually originated on my servers; they were all messages that were sent to addresses at the servers, then forwarded to AOL accounts, and since AOL records the IPs of all servers the message touched, I'm tainted by them.

So, how do you deal with this? My setup on the servers is like this:

<snipped>

* Setting up user accounts for the users with AOL forwards, filtering the mail through SA, then delivering it only if SA didn't mark it as spam, but that's a lot of users to set up.

<snipped>

This is NOT a suggestion to change MTA. On my server, which is using Qmail, all emails are filtered through spamassassin and ClamAV, even those which are forwards. Might there be a similar method to drop a process in between the receive and delivery steps of sendmail? It seems rather strange that sendmail would receive the email and then pass it on without it going through at least your system spamassassin.

I guess the question here would be: "At what point is spamassassin currently being called in your mail system."

BW