On Tuesday, May 24, 2005, 6:56:08 AM, Ronan McGlue wrote:
 I added a dummy mx record (lowest preference) as we all know its
 generally the one th spammers target first, which is getting hit with
 about 50% of our daily connections, of which i defer all of them at a
 very low overhead.

Some of the spammers will eventually notice that your bogus MXer
is not responding and fall back to trying the other MXers.

Jeff,

Why would they notice?  In my mind, the mailserver would accept the
connections and emails, only to silently defer them.  And by defer, I
mean delete them without any rejection or reply.

There are several alternatives, including using fake proxypots
that simulate a mailserver to varying degrees and may fool
spammers for longer.

Do you have any links to linux based "fake proxypots" ?
They sound cool, or maybe its just fun to say...

Thanks,
Devin