   >> Clearly, some of my emails are skipping SA!

   LW> Which version were you running, again?  This was a known-to-happen
   LW> 'feature' with the 2.6x series, although nobody ever really figured
   LW> out why.  There are conditions where it can happen on 3.0.1 or .2, I
   LW> believe, if the spamd children all get themselves in a knot.  Spam
   LW> processing stops and mail ends up bypassing SA.  However, the 3.0.1-2
   LW> case should result in a lot of mail bypassing SA, not just the
   LW> occasional thing as on 2.6x.

Loren,

I think I already posted a reply to this email but I don't see it in the
list.  If this is a duplicate I apologize.

I am using SA 3.0.3.  What you are suggesting as the problem makes alot of
sense.  I usually see this happen when my server comes back on-line after
being off-line for a while.  When that happens, my server gets very
overloaded as the backup MX dumps whatever it was holding.  I end up with
over a 100 sendmail processes running at the same time.

Maybe I need to reconfigure sendmail and/or spamd?  I limit spamd to 5 child
processes (I specify options "-d -c -m4").  Maybe this is the problem?  Maybe
I need more spamd processes or fewer sendmail processes??

How can I limit the number of sendmails anyway?  My server gets very
overloaded in those circumstances.  In general, what happens if there are
more sendmails than there are spamd processes?

Thanks for your help!

...Jake

--
Jake Colman