I haven't ever had a problem. My Exchange sends directly out thru an IP
address that isn't listed as an MX. No one has complained yet.
Actually...thats not true. I think there was one time I had to send hotmail
and AOL emails thru my ISP's MX server. Which took FOREVER to get delivered.

One the subject of legit users, I have a setup like no other. All my users
are setup as aliases to procmail scripts on the gateway. There is no open
ldap ports between the gateway and exchange.

This requires me to create user accounts for a user on both internal and
gateway systems. But scripts make it easy. It also doesn't allow any "return
receipts" to people. Which I like.

The upside is I get the power of aliases and procmail scripts for every
user. This was the benefit I wanted. I can do all sorts of stuff this way.

IMHO, everyone should use Sendmail/SA in a "filtered" DMZ. Why Sendmail? I
don't know....it was the biggest book on the shelf ;)

--Chris