> I am pleased to report the problem is solved.
>
> I obtained and installed the latest Berkeley DB from sleepycat.org,
> then the perl module DB_File-1.811.  This resolved the problem.

Please open a bug  in BZ showing the symptoms and documenting the fix, and
give it a title of something like "unuseful error messages for old DB_File
version".

There is supposed to be a check during the install that checks for the
required version of everything SA might use, and complains if an old version
is found.  Clearly DB_FIle doesn't seem to be on that list, and clearly
should be.

Separately, there is an open bug for cleaning up useless "perl error!" error
messages that describe an SA option with incorrect syntax.  One could argue
that your 'error message' falls into both of these camps.

        Loren