Steven Dickenson wrote:

You might be able to get your security group to take responsibility for it. Many enterprises now consider first-line email servers something of an application-level proxy, particularly first-line servers that handle spam and malware filtering. In these cases, they're usually handled by the security department.

I handle the security for the most part. However, it's a decision that's out of my hands. Besides which if things do go wrong I can't take any of the blame for it ;)

I would imagine given the choice of an Exchange front-end server vs. a Linux-based SMTP gateway, they'd jump for the later.

Absolutely. But the in thing these days is shared calendars. Yes, there is indeed many solutions that can be implemented in Linux but (a) the IT department doesn't have much Linux experience if at all, (b) the users of the shared calendaring system are mainly Windows users running Outlook anyway and (c) the email/communication systems is more of an IT thing than the department that I work for (we manage production systems rather than IT related stuff - the only reason we ended up running the mail system was due to the IT's lack of Linux/mail server experience so many years ago).

M.