Alan Premselaar wrote:

perhaps all I am really asking is if there is a way to allow spamassassin to just stop processing a message that is in a blacklist to save the cycles? I am not asking for spamassassin to become an MTA/MDA.

In that case it would be ultimately more efficient to add a rejection rule to your MTA (i.e. sendmail's access db) than to even rely on SA's blacklisting (even if it did stop processing after determining the blacklist hit)

I agree but this would be on a site wide basis when I want per user. In addition I want the user to be able to control the blacklist ... I don't want to have to update the access db on his behalf. As an aside, I do keep quite a large, custom site wide access db.

My (not so clear) point is that there may be situations such as Corporate Policy, for right or for wrong, disallowing the discarding of *any* mail prior to delivery. We certainly don't have that policy here, but I've seen it come up in discussion before.

I'm certainly not saying it's a bad Idea, I'm merely expressing some of the points that have come up in conversation on the list previously.

Yes this certainly could be sticky. In my particular case I administer a small, rural wireless network providing broadband to ~300 people in the Colorado Rockies. We have no such policy and in fact I raised this question only because I have been getting beat up over the issue. I have users who want anything on their blacklists to just disappear. The side question of CPU cycles came up while I was taking my abuse. I guess procmail will be my friend.

--
Paul ([EMAIL PROTECTED])