"If you're interested in doing AV scanning in addition to spam
scanning / tagging, then you're probably better off to have fetchmail
deliver POP'ed mail to an MTA like Postfix or Exim, and have it do
the spam / AV scanning.  I use Exim exclusively, and have this exact
set up running on my home server for friends and family.  Works great."

Do you think you could provide me with some documentation on how you're doing this? That is the biggest challenge for me right now. I want to do what you say you've created at home but don't have documentation on how to set this up. I'm so new to all these mail programs in Linux and need some solid direction to learn how to integrate everything into an ultimate spam/virus killing macine ;)

thanks