Hi,

OK, so I've had a fun (yeah right) week dealing with three mail hubs
that are normally quite happy, and suddenly on Monday/Tuesday their load
average goes up to 10+ for no apparent reason. Sometimes it looks like
it is ClamAV that's the problem, sometimes exim, and sometimes SA. Argh!

  http://www.le.ac.uk/cc/mcn4/sa-re-whoops/

Finally, this morning, after a lot of log searching and trying to trace
SA children that have frozen and are eating CPU, I find a single message
that triggers the problem. It's just over 100k long, and 99% of it is
line feeds.

Turns out that my lax use of \s* in four rules really didn't like this
new type of message that's been arriving. Because it crashed SA, it
never got logged in the exim logs, so incoming mail and spam detected
looked "normal"!

Everything was fine with these rules until this strange message
triggered them.  I guess that "*" _really_ isn't good to use (as people
have said before), and that if you do use them they will come back to
get you later!

Removed the rules and all is happy again. I can finally rest for the
weekend! Yup, I've learnt my lesson now ;-).

Matthew

--
Matthew Newton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

UNIX and e-mail Systems Administrator, Network Support Section,
Computer Centre, University of Leicester,
Leicester LE1 7RH, United Kingdom