List Mail User wrote:

[snip]

        Absolutely incorrect!  Your HELO/EHLO must match your rDNS or the
rDNS needs to match an MX RR for your argument or a few other cases.  AOL
is quite strict, but you have misinterpreted either their stated policy
and/or RFCs 2821 and 2822.  In particular, you can note that since I use
dynamic routing, the HELO/EHLO argument from this message is "plectere.com"
which has no 'A' RR and hence no rDNS.  The client adress used, however
will be smtp.mpa0.plectere.com which does have an 'A' record and does have
both rDNS and FCrDNS poperly setup (and while irrelevant to this discussion,
also is listed in the SPF record for plectere.com and is a 'MX' for the domain
plectere.com).

        I believe that all that AOL requires is that the client's IP match
its rDNS;  You can easily check by writing their support staff - they are
amazingly good and helpful and certainly can better explain the exact rules
than I can;  I can tell you, I have no difficulties seding mail to AOL and
my HELO/EHLO argument does not match the client rDNS.

I'll take another look at changing he HELO to mail.trusswood.net (MX record) and see if that will do what's needed. (If I understand you correctly...)

[snip]

        Many ISPs will not delegate for a single address;  If you pay for
more than one IP, you should call and have rDNS delegation setup (most
ISPs use similar, but slightly different conventions).  If you only have
a single static IP, they likely will not change rDNS for you, but should
move you to a block marked as static.  Also,  if BellSouth is like most
of the other telcos, you can have the port 25 block removed, but it may
take a few telephone calls to get to a person who can understand why *and*
how (I say this as someone who has a SBC residential line with a static IP
and no port 25 block, which only took about two hours to reach a correct
department and person to setup - BTW. no charge for either, but the first
6 or so people tried to get me to change to a business account before
getting some who understood the issues).

Agreed!

Our T1 line is marked as static, don't know how the rule is hitting on the rDNS here, if it's the DIA part, we aren't the only one... (dia, btw is our service type (DIA = Dedicated Integrated Access ) so we aren't the only one..) But, if it is because I use rDNS as the helo, I'll surely make the swap.

I went the route to trying to get pt 25 unblocked, went as high as I could... in short I got "get a biz account." They specify say No mail servers. I can relay no problem through their servers, but this breaks SPF badly, so I use alternate ports (this is my home addresses unrelated to here and now OT :-D .) Good thing is, their biz accounts (if I agree to 3 years) are the same price (well, is $10 more/mo) as the res. accounts (got the paperwork directly from them, however, don't have the funds to make the switch.) I do, however, know the head of xDSL operations for this area (mco) and even he isn't able to remove the block...

--
Thanks
James

        Paul Shupak
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

P.S.  I have several incoming DSL lines and nearly every provider has
willingly treated my account(s) as special - It just takes getting to
the correct department/group/person to get it done.

I guess I'm not a big enough player.. yet :-D

--
Thanks,
James