On Thursday, July 21, 2005, 7:28:53 PM, Charles Sprickman wrote:
> Hello,

> I've been watching some of the misses that have passed through
> spamassassin (3.0.4) lately and they are pretty clean; no DNS BL hits,
> etc.

> One thing I did notice is that many of them have a fairly contorted URL
> for the spamvertized products, ie:

> kjekliennxi&ffiennnkenc.spamsite.com

> This doesn't trigger any URIDNSBL hits, but if I punch the entire URI into
> the surbl.org checker it does hit.  It seems as if the SA check is looking
> only at the domain part and not the subdomain.

> Is this expected?  Is there a switch to flip to get the whole hostname
> checked?

As Loren correctly mentions, SURBLs and the applications that use
them usually try to check the registered domain, not the full
host name.  Some exceptions include phishing hosts that might be
hosted on a legitimate ISP under their domain name, like
phisher.geocities.com or whatever.

So there is no switch to check the whole hostname and most of the
time the full hostnames would not match the SURBL data.  There
are a number of reasons for this design decision, some of which
can be seen at:

  http://www.surbl.org/faq.html#random
  http://www.surbl.org/faq.html#cctlds

Most of the major spammers register dozens or hundreds of new
domains at a time, use some for a few days or weeks then abandon
them and start using others.  We're a lot more interested in
catching those than some minor abuse at a free host, since the
ones using throwaway domains are probably the same ones sending
billions of spams per day using botnets, etc.

Jeff C.
--
Jeff Chan
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]