Hello Frank,

>> The Bayes system will occasionally determine that it needs to expire
>> old entries, to keep the database files within reasonable size, and
>> that expiration can take a long while.

FMC> is there a file I can check to see if it has become large?  better yet is
FMC> there some kind of routine to run to do the purging?  I could shut down
FMC> message checking to give an expiration routine time to do its thing.

The files are the bayes_* files, by default located in the user's
$HOME/.spamassassin directory (whatever user is doing the email check
at the time).

bayes_journal_max_size (default: 102400)
bayes_expiry_max_db_size (default: 150000)
bayes_auto_expire (default: 1)
bayes_learn_to_journal (default: 0)
are the local.cf or user_prefs parameters that affect bayes
expiration. See
http://spamassassin.apache.org/full/3.0.x/dist/doc/Mail_SpamAssassin_Conf.html#learning_options
for the 3.0.x application of these parameters.

See
http://spamassassin.apache.org/full/3.0.x/dist/doc/sa-learn.html#expiration
for a discussion of expiration.
> sa-learn --force-expire
will force an expiration run. So a script which will
> stop email filtering
> sa-learn --force-expire
> restart email filtering
will help if this is indeed your problem.

Bob Menschel