--- Jason Frisvold <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 8/1/05, email builder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Even if I had forgotten the -A, I think I would have been seeing
> connection
> > refused notices, but right now, it just seems to time out.  I'm pretty
> sure
> > this is a LVS question more than a spamc/d question, since I've no
> problems
> > with the latter -- I am only asking here to see if anyone else does SA
> > weighted load balancing.
>
> I kinda went the other way around..  I have multiple mail machines,
> each with their own instance of spamd.  I use a Cisco 7206 VXR to do
> the load balancing.  Works like a charm.

Wow, a bit out of our price range here.  :)

We have also considered just continuing to build out MTA boxes each with an
Amavis/Clamd and SA on them to share our increasing load (just use LVS to
balance the incoming SMTP traffic and there is little reason to worry about
balancing SA or Amavis/Clam), but our first choice is to split the "layers"
-- have a couple separate machines that just do MTA-ish things, and a
separate set of boxes that serve as a "SA (and Clam-av) farm".  The thing
that's better about doing it that way is the redundancy that you don't get if
you aren't sharing spamd instances across all your MTA machines.

Technically, this should be feasible with just plain DNS load balancing, but
in our current medium/low budget scenario, we don't have the rackspace to
have numerous boxes that are dedicated ONLY to SA/clam, thus our desire is to
figure out a way to *WEIGHT* our spamd balancing.

I'm surprised there's not a lot of folks out there who have done this
before....?

Thanks again!

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs