> > > You cannot depend on "first DNS" setting on a client -- most DNS
> > > clients may try ANY of the one's listed -- Windows clients for
> > > instance certainly work this way.
> >
> > OK, fair enough (although from my experience, dig always
> > seems to take the first one it finds that works).  So I took
> > all other entries out of /etc/resolve.conf on the SMTP(spamc)
>
> Dig has/is it's own resolver if I recall correctly.
>
> > Linux telnet has this kind of thing?  Where is it??  I
> > thought that is what /etc/resolve.conf is.
>
> Telnet uses the built-in resolver -- most ordinary
> applications work this way.

Hrm.  Any tips on how to make it aware of my new "spam." subdomain?

> > > You should generally point clients to ONE CONSISTENT (set of) DNS
> > > servers which return all the correct answers the client
> > > will ever need.   If the DNS server (set) doesn't know the
> > > answer it must forward or recurse to find it.
> >
> > Well, since the ultimate client will be spamc, what does spamc use?
> > Something other than /etc/resolve.conf?
>
> Most (almost all) regular applications use the built-in
> resolver but IIRC SpamC has this as a configuartion/
> environemnt setting so it (this is true for SpamAssassin
> and Net::DNS actually) might be using a different setting
> for DNS than the computer as a whole.

OK, so instead of mucking around with telnet, I tried it with spamc, but no
dice.  Maillog shows:

Aug 17 18:35:40 gaia spamc[27064]: gethostbyname(spam.mydomain.com) failed:
h_errno=1
Aug 17 18:35:40 gaia spamc[27097]: gethostbyname(spam.mydomain.com) failed:
h_errno=1
Aug 17 18:35:41 gaia spamc[27143]: gethostbyname(spam.mydomain.com) failed:
h_errno=1
Aug 17 18:35:41 gaia spamc[27144]: gethostbyname(spam.mydomain.com) failed:
h_errno=1

... and so on...

Thanks so much!